Show Side Menu
Physiotherapy Direct Access Clinics
Facebook Page
Practice News
Contact Us
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999
NHS Direct Wales - 0845 46 47 - Galw IECHYD Cymru

Complaints Procedure

Raising your concern


Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily with the person concerned, often at the time they arise, and this may be the approach you try first.

Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, giving as much detail as you can, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be:

·         Within 12 months of the incident,

·         or within 12 months of you becoming aware of the matter

If you are a registered patient you can raise a concern about your own care. You are not able to raise a concern about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. See the separate section in this leaflet.

We are able to provide you with a separate
form to register your concern and this includes a third-party authority form to enable a complaint to be made by someone else. Please ask at reception for this. You can provide this in your own format, providing this covers all the necessary aspects.

Send your written concern to:

Lynne Bodman

Practice Manager


What we do next


We aim to resolve concerns as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt of your concern within three working days, and aim to have looked into the matter and respond to you within 30 working days. You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue. If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a concern we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.

When the investigations are complete, a final response will be sent to you.

Where your concern involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your concern has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.


The final response letter will include details of the result of your concern and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.


Raising a concern on behalf
of someone else


We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal
confidentiality. If you wish to raise a concern and are not the patient involved, we will require the written
consent of the patient to confirm that they are
unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with someone else about it.

Please ask at reception for the concerns form, which contains a suitable authority for the patient to sign to enable the concern to be investigated.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident, it may still be possible to deal with the concern. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances that prevent this in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express
permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply.

We may still need to correspond directly with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party. This depends on the wording of the authority


Who should I talk to about my concern?


If you feel like able to do so, the best place to start is by talking to the staff who were involved with your care and treatment. They can try and sort out your concern immediately. If this doesn’t help or if you do not want to speak to staff who provided the service, then you can contact a member of the concerns team.


For concerns about health services, you will need to contact your local health board or relevant NHS trust


If you have any concerns about services that you received from your General Practice (GP), Dentist, Pharmacist or Optician you should normally ask the practice to look into it for you, but if you prefer, you can ask your local health board to do so.


You can contact the concerns team by:

·         Phoning the customer contact centre on: 01495745656

·         Email:

·         Writing a Letter:

Judith Paget

Chief Executive

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board

St Cadoc’s Hospital

Lodge Road

Caerleon, Newport

NP18 3XQ



If you need help to tell us about your concern, please let us know or contact your local Community Health Council (CHC). Your local CHC provides a free and independent Advocacy service, which is able to help patients or the people acting for them to raise a concern. The CHC will offer advice and support, including putting you in touch with specialist Advocacy services if you need them. Your local CHC can be found by contacting the board of CHCs whose details can be found at the end.


 If you are dissatisfied with the outcome


You have the right to approach the Public Health Service Ombudsman for Wales. The contact details are:

The Public Health Services Ombudsman for Wales
1 Ffordd yr Hen Gae
CF35 5LJ

Tel:          0300 790 0203

Fax:         01656 641199



You may also approach your local community health council for help or advice;

The community health council is based at the local health board (see address below). It provides confidential advice and support, helping you to sort out any concerns you may have about the care we provide, guiding you through the different services available from the NHS.


Community Health Council:

Tel: 0845 644 7814

Tel:  02920 235558



The person responsible for dealing with concerns at the practice is:

Lynne Bodman


Local Services, Let